About the role
To deliver our exciting and complex mission and growth goals, our team is key! Designing programs and methodologies that can effectively amplify community action is one thing. Fundraising for and executing them with and through communities, champions and partners is another. We need to constantly re-invent ourselves on our journey to scaling interventions on holistic health and fundamental rights while remaining firmly founded in our roots and values.
The Talent Management Associate will work closely with the team and all managers to help build and sustain the drive, capacity, skills and culture needed. This is a highly strategic role that reports to the Head of Finance and Operations, and works in collaboration with the Leadership Team.
If you are a vibrant, passionate, systematic and growth-oriented Talent Management / Human Resource professional and Community & Rights enthusiast, we might have a job for you!
Your responsibilities will include the following:
Spearhead Talent Management and Development (70%)
- People Strategy & Culture
- Together with the Leadership Team, steer an inclusive process that defines the desired organizational culture and talent management strategies that will help us achieve our ambitious mission and goals as per strategic plan
- Curiously and boldly explore how we can grow TICAH’s people strategy and culture true to its roots, i.e. feminism, appreciation of indigenous culture, social justice and the arts
- Coordinate the design, implementation and evaluation of culture development activities across the organization
- Continually work to ensure that all management systems are aligned to our desired culture
- Talent Planning
- Together with the Leadership Team and Programs Committee, develop a clear vision for how TICAH’s team should look like to meet our mid-term goals. Have a clear and deep understanding of the type of talent that thrives at TICAH, and the mindsets, skills and knowledge required to do our kind of work
- Partner with all teams across the organization to proactively identify staffing needs in line with growth plans
- Assist the program and finance team with talent planning during grant proposal writing
- People Growth
- Align our learning agenda to our dreams and goals. Spearhead a culture of learning, where people embrace learning, growth and professional development
- As capacity development needs are identified across the organization in the pursuit of the strategic plan, work with the respective team in charge to come up with effective and creative learning approaches to meet these needs
- Support leadership skill development across the organization
- Be a thought partner to people around their career growth and personal and professional development
- Employee Value Proposition
- Run an inclusive process that defines our Employee Value Proposition and derive key strategies to implement it
- Chair and coordinate the Staff Welfare Committee, with the aim of involving team members in creating a warm, human-centered work environment and delivering our EVP
- Spearhead integration of wellness into TICAH’s every day, including review of organizational systems and coordination of wellness programs. (Sometimes, we neglect our own “holistic health” internally, when doing this mentally and emotionally engaging work)
- Build strong rapport with staff, understand the current employee experience at TICAH and identify ways to make TICAH the place to be in our field of work
- Conduct staff engagement surveys and implement recommendations
- Performance Management
- Coordinate the quarterly and annual appraisal process in a way that drives engagement, conversations, alignment and learning (beyond filling in templates)
- Work closely with each line manager to support them in meaningful Performance Management for their direct reports:
- Collaborative JD Design and goal setting (SMART goals) by the teams as part of the annual reviews
- Each staff member understands their role and expected results clearly as roles change when the organization and work evolves
- All staff have individualized learning and development goals and action plans
- Performance gaps are addressed early and effectively, supporting the staff member to meet expectations. Ensure documentation as needed
- Come up with performance based motivation and reward approaches
- Anticipate talent needs and build a relevant talent pool through networking, partnerships, internships, employer branding initiatives, etc
- Partner with hiring managers on recruitment, which includes coordinating the overall process and guiding hiring teams on the design of assessment tools. Carry out vacancy posting, active sourcing of candidates, applicant shortlisting and present a longlist of candidates to the hiring managers
- Improve our orientation and onboarding procedures, ensuring that new staff and volunteers are equipped with the knowledge, skills and relationships to rapidly integrate at TICAH and perform at their best. Support managers to set their new colleagues up for success.
- Develop and track annual objectives, workplan and budget for the department
- Stay abreast with trends and best practices in the industry
- Further improve and document all our Talent Management processes and procedures, ensuring fair, effective and streamlined approaches as the organization grows.
Effective HR Administration (20%)
- Track and report on HR indicators regularly, highlighting needs and suggestions for improvement
- Work with staff and managers to address any grievances and concerns quickly
- Manage disciplinary process as arising
- Maintain staff files to ensure legal compliance. Ensure that contracts and agreements are in place for all staff, volunteers and interns
- Manage staff leave and sick leave procedure
- Maintain the HR policy and communicate it appropriately to staff
- Manage safety and health (OSHA etc)
- Advise management on Kenyan labour laws and industry trends and best case practices
- Manage the administration of staff benefits (health insurance, pension, bonus calculation, etc)
- Handle work permits for expatriate staff.
Support TICAH’s Programs (10%)
- Everyone at TICAH gets to attend and support the implementation of program activities under the guidance of the respective Program Manager - in line with personal interests and passions. You may also support Monitoring and Evaluation activities as needed. We find it key for our Talent Management Associate to understand the work the team does!
- Participate in the reviews of the strategic plan.
Who we are looking for:
- You share our passion for holistic health and fundamental human rights. You believe in the individual’s right to choose and self-determine when it comes to their health, especially sexual and reproductive health.
- You have a growth mindset, you try out new things to learn and are up to date with trends on various issues within and beyond your profession.
- You are a vibrant, people-oriented person. You love seeing people grow. One of your gifts is to see the potential and talent in someone and help them tap it!
- Champion & Thought Leader for innovative talent management with relevant success stories:
- 7+ years of relevant progressive work experience, with at least 2 years in a similar position
- Track record of driving Talent Management and HR strategy and processes in a social impact or human rights environment, e.g. in a small to medium-sized NGO or a social enterprise.
- You are strategic and systematic in your approach.
- In recruitment, you know how to effectively screen for mission and culture alignment. You’re ready to push yourself using creative ways of building candidate pools.
- In performance management, you have partnered with managers in defining the right set of indicators.
- In Learning & Development, you pride yourself in your creative approach and have successfully supported individuals to find practical ways to build new skills and knowledge, away from the "certificate culture".
- You have successfully (and maybe unconventionally) worked to align an organization’s talent needs with the strengths in the team to ensure mutual thriving. We’d love to hear all about it!
- You are open-minded, receptive and non-judgemental. You have strong discretion and confidentiality. People find you approachable and you easily cultivate relationships with all types of people.
- You know how to effectively guide managers and teams on processes. You are firm and objective when it comes to evaluating opinions and needs.
- Experience integrating holistic health and wellness into the organizational processes and talent management structures. We all know the social impact space is fast-paced and high-pressure - how do we do this better?
- You have used your mentorship, counseling, negotiation and mediation skills before to ensure win-win outcomes for employees and employer.
- You have handled disciplinary and grievance cases with tact effectively.
- When needed, you pay strong attention to detail.
- Strong understanding of administrative HR procedures, backed up by knowledge in Kenya’s labour laws and regulations.
- You hold a relevant bachelor’s degree or Higher Diploma. You hold CHRP, IHRM membership or another relevant qualification.
- Ability to organize and manage your workload with multiple parallel priorities and keep several parallel work streams moving at the same time.
You have the cultural fit to work with the team at TICAH if
- You are genuinely interested and comfortable conversing on diverse ideas and opinions. You continuously challenge your own assumptions and beliefs
- You love or are interested in exploring the African indigenous culture
- You don’t judge people for their life choices but genuinely want to support them!
- You think out of the box, and work hard to see your crazy ideas come to life
- You are humble and comfortable in varying social and professional settings, alternating between interacting with grassroots community members, and high-level stakeholders
- You walk your talk, your words and actions mirror your personal and professional beliefs. You are self driven and genuinely are excited to be contributing to positive change in the world
- You listen to understand, and believe that those closest to the problem are best placed to find solutions to the problem.
Why work with us
- You will be part of growing our impact with a vast exciting network and pool of partnerships that we have built over the past 19 years
- We walk our talk. We are brave and bold in everything we do
- Exposure across all our programmatic areas
- An opportunity to dream of all possible solutions and make them come true
- We are a committed team and we treat each other like family
- Our team works hard and also realizes the importance of having fun in and out of work
- We are an egalitarian organization – if equality and fair access to opportunity excites you, join us!
Start date as soon as possible. Applications will be screened on a rolling basis. The role will be based in our Karen office. We are looking for candidates who are excited to make a long-term commitment.
There will be a six-month probationary period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
How to apply
- Fill out the application survey under this link: https://bit.ly/JoinTICAH-Talent
- You will be asked to upload your CV as part of the application form. Make sure it is tailored towards the role, no longer than 3 pages and in PDF format
- For any clarifications, reach out to email@example.com