About the Illness

A stroke occurs when a blood vessel (artery) that supplies blood to the brain bursts, or is blocked by a blood clot. Within minutes the nerve cells in that area of the brain become damaged and die within a few hours. As a result, the part of the body controlled by the damaged section of the brain cannot function properly. A variety of factors contribute to strokes, including high blood pressure, diabetes and stress. Consequently many HIV+ people suffer from strokes. If you survive a stroke you may become paralysed on one side of your face or body. You may also have trouble speaking, seeing or thinking, but the difficulties caused by stroke sometimes get better with time.

Common Symptoms

May begin suddenly and include: Numbness, weakness, or paralysis of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body; vision problems in one or both eyes, double vision or loss of vision; confusion, trouble speaking or understanding; trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or of coordination; severe headache.

Important Information

Anyone suffering a stroke must seek professional medical help.

Herbal Therapy

Massage is also a good therapy because it helps circulate blood and oxygen to your muscles.
Try mixing the following herbs with a carrier oil and using it to give the patient a body massage:

Pilau Spices good for all

Crush to a powder, mix with oil and then massage.

Caesalpinia volkensii Leaves good for all

Crush the leaves, mix with oil and then massage.

Food and Nutrition Advice

  • Eat immune-boosting foods.
  • Take vegetable oil, nuts etc. (Sesame is the best).
  • Eat yellow vegetables, especially carrot juice or cabbage juice.
  • Drink a juice of pumpkin, pawpaw and turmeric mixed together.

Body Work and General Advice

There are certain things you can do to aid recovery from a stroke:

  • Develop a positive mental attitude. This is a really important part of the recovery process.
  • Physical exercise is important. Try and take as much as you can. If you are able to afford it, visit a physiotherapist.


Leave a Reply